Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dear Lindsay, Anything is possible. Love, 2011

            Whether you believe in making New Year’s resolutions or not, it is impossible to not think about the year ahead after the big glittery ball drops.  I won’t lie, 2010 was an incredible year for me and I’m starting to feel the pressure when it comes to making 2011 an even bigger success.
            Don’t get me wrong, there are things in 2010 that I wish I could go back and change:  silly fights with friends, guy drama and a subsequent broken heart, sitting on opportunities instead of seizing the day.  But at the end of a very eventful year, I can honestly say that 2010 was when I realized the sky's the limit.             
            My year started off at WCCO-TV, where I interned in the sports department with some of the most dedicated and talented people I’ve ever met. I then went back to the Minnesota Daily and jumped in to cover the nationally-ranked Gophers volleyball team—including a tournament run and the retirement of one of the greatest volleyball coaches in the country.  And I was lucky enough to take on the role of ‘Intern Gal’ at KFAN, where I get to work with some of the greatest guys I’ve ever met. 
            If 2010 taught me anything, it’s that I’m in charge of my future and that’s a motto I’ll continue to repeat to myself as the new year jumps off.  

Hopes for 2011:

1. Go on vacation by myself
            Whether it’s a week at the cabin alone or a cross-country adventure to visit friends, 2011 is going to be all about rebuilding my independence.

2.  Spend less time on Facebook and more time working on things that will lead me somewhere.
           
3.  Listen to ‘happier’ music.
            As I was getting ready on New Year’s Eve, I realized my top-played music on my iTunes is insanely sad.  And as someone who is extremely connected to music, I figure it can’t be very good for me to listen to love songs on repeat.  So in 2011, my goal is to break out of my shell and explore more music—music that will hopefully help control my emotional mood swings (I kid, I kid).
 
4.  Take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way.
            I like to think I’m insanely independent, sometimes too independent for my own good.  And one of the things I find the hardest is asking for help or using a personal connection to help me out.  Basically, I’m used to doing everything on my own and if I want to make 2011 my most successful year to date, I need to become better at letting others help me out.

5.  Surround myself by people who love me and support me and do a better job of reciprocating those feelings.
            Like I said, I’m too independent for my own good.  But I’m very blessed to be surrounded by amazing friends and family, people who do nothing but push me to succeed.  Sometimes I don’t do a good enough of job of reciprocating those feelings and emotions and while I want to make 2011 all about my career, I’m going to make a genuine effort to improve my relationships.

6.  Run a marathon.
            It’s a little off subject when it comes to my other resolutions, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.  I’ve ran two half marathons and I’d love to find a marathon to run in a fun city that I could explore after the race.  Also, I need something to motivate me out of my warm house and into the cold winter air—I’m guilty of allowing winter to let me become a hermit.


            I’m very excited to see what 2011 has in store for me.  For the first time in my life, I feel like I’m finally on the right track and with my big 25th birthday rapidly approaching, it’s nice to know that things can only get better from here.





To those of you who are reading this, thank you for your support this year.  Whether you are one of my oldest friends, someone I just met this year, or my incredible parents (yes, Karen I know you’ll read this), my success in 2010 is directly linked back to you.  I’m so lucky to have you in my life.  There is no better motivation than knowing you are behind me, pushing me along and while I might not express my gratitude enough, please know that I am truly grateful for everything you to do for me.

3 comments:

  1. I hope visiting Omaha in 2011 for the CWS falls somewhere on this list... maybe in the taking a vacation alone area.

    I am really excited, best not let me down!

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay,

    I came across this quote New Year's Eve:

    We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. - Edith Lovejoy Pierce

    I look forward to watching how you fill up your pages and I hope that this "Old Man" gets an invite to your 25th... or at least take you to lunch.

    Happy New Year Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lindsay:

    You are sexy when you blog about New Year's Resolutions. Try to block me, I dare you!!!!

    Your secret admirer ;)

    ReplyDelete